Saturday, December 24, 2005

Low-key Holiday

I started to say, "We're having a quiet holiday this year," but that wouldn't really be true. James has the sander going in the upstairs hall, since I decided I'd like to get that done in the next week. One space at a time, and we'll get the house finished.

With all the home improvement work we've been doing, neither James nor I was in the mood to add to the commotion by bringing out all the Christmas decorations this year. The kids are spending Christmas with their other parents, and we don't care about putting up a tree. We told the kids, at some point, that they could get things down from the attic, but no one cared enough to do the work required.

We did have a tree and carols and lights and stockings and presents at the grandparents' last weekend. James and I will spend time with my calabash sister and her family tomorrow, and then two of my brothers and I and our families will get together in Alexandria on Monday. We have my four for the afternoon, and get Kyle for most of a week starting Monday. There's a great deal less stress when we're not fussy about the exact day we celebrate.

And gift-giving is easy this year. We've picked up little things for the nieces and nephews, and I'll be finishing the theme gifts this weekend. We told the kids in October that we wouldn't be doing gifts this year. We have all we need, and they have more than they need, as evidenced by the continuing clutter throughout the house and their rooms. They are receiving gifts from family and friends, but we are giving them each $50 to be used to do good in the world. This is a trend that my family has been advancing over the last several years. Last year my little sister, Becky, and her family even bowed out of the traditional theme-gift exchange, "giving" us each a chicken (through Heifer International) instead. I almost went that route, with bees and trees instead of chickens, since James and I follow a strict vegetarian diet. But then I remembered the crystals Miriam saved from our chandelier when we changed the lighting in the dining room. I'll put up a picture of my creations---after the gift exchange on Monday! (We're doing the bees & trees also.)

Mele Kalikimaka!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home