Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Doing what works

A colleague on Ryze posted this pair of queries:
1-Are you doing what works?
2-Is what you are doing working? (Thanks Walter Paul Bebirian!)

So often, I spend my time thinking about my projects, rather than taking the action to make them happen. That is one advantage of working with a coach-I create my own deadlines and then have accountability to live up to them. My coach challenges me to stretch into larger views of myself and the possibilities available to be created.

"Are you doing. . ."-are you in action? Do you know what will work? Have you done your research? I highly recommend Ryze or a similar networking opportunity to make contact with people who will be glad to share their expertise and help you grow. Then, . . .

Get into action!

"Ready, Fire, Aim"---In the Revolutionary War they called it "Kentucky Windage"-shoot and correct your aim for the next shot, but keep firing.

In business, and in life, we are in the same position. We need to stay in action, keep momentum going, while we watch for results and adjust future actions accordingly.

"Is what you are doing working?" I think it was Einstein who defined insanity as continuing to do the same thing and expecting the results to change. How is what you are doing working for you? Are you getting what you want? Are you getting closer to what you want? If you can't answer either of those questions positively in the affirmative (a fancy way of saying yes), what do you need to change.

Do you know what you want? The power of intention works from having a clear picture of the desired result, even if you aren't yet clear on how you will get there. But that's another topic. . .

Walter, thanks for the thought-provoking questions!

Aloha!
Mary

2 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Walter Paul said...

Mary - Excellent analysis of what I had laid out for the group to focus on (that concept of focus was indicated in the title).

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger John Dilbeck said...

Hi Mary,

You asked:

1-Are you doing what works?
2-Is what you are doing working?

Those are good questions and I wonder if there are any clear answers, unless you have previous experience.

If I've done something before and know what I'm doing, then it is easy to evaluate how well my actions are accomplishing my goal.

However, if you're doing something new, like you starting this blog, what do you have to compare with?

I don't know the answer.

My approach is to cast a very wide, but shallow net, until I get some feedback. Then I can compare the approaches I've taken to see which works the best.

Then, I need to look and see if that approach and its results takes me closer to my end goal. If so, continue. If not, redirect to something else and try again.

I any case, I agree that you have to have a clear vision of where you want to arrive, or you'll never get there.

Great start on a new blog!

I like your new haircut!

All the best,

JD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home