Saturday, December 03, 2005

Does it work? Long-term results

I had great response to my last post, and a very busy day yesterday, and missed posting. . .

I've been thinking about those two questions, and JD's post. A new friend/reader responded that sometimes we have to wait to see what the results are. I think he was referring to business strategies, but it is definitely true in relationships!

Parenting is one of those areas.

Raising little ones I could see some connections between what I did and how they behaved. My bad days were often bad for them also. My creative days we'd spend laughing and playing and getting things done. When I was angry with them, it would reflect in how they treated each other, etc.

Now that the twins are fast approaching their thirteenth birthday (two months and 29 days yesterday-according to Miriam), and the eldest is back from a month alone in Spain, I don't get that instant feedback, but I do get to see the results of years of effort and attention. Friends and school events, or lack of sleep, affect their moods and behaviors more than my mood does these days. My effect has been more on their characters and outlook on life.

Overall, I'd have to say, I'm pretty satisfied. I love these kids, and admire the people they are becoming. And isn't that a wonderful thing to be able to say about one's teenagers?!

I started to go through each of the kids, but that was too much like a Christmas card letter, so I saved it as a draft there. Just let me know if you want to hear me brag about my kids, and I'll send it to you.

My action challenge to you:

Identify your top three long-range life projects, and do a check-in on how you're doing.
How are your results compared to a year ago? Several years ago?
What do you want to see at this time next year?
What will success look like?
Are you on track?
Can you see any shifts you want or need to make?

Live your life with love!
Aloha!
Mary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home