Wednesday, February 08, 2006

She's in court!

I finally got to use that line when someone called for Eliza! As part of her no-time-to-breathe schedule this month, our sweet Liza has taken on the role of Defense attorney on her school's mock trial team. I've been dying to have the chance to tell someone that she wasn't available since she was in court, and last night I got to do so. The response was fabulous, the laden silent pause, and then a question about what happened.

Her team won, both the decision and the points. Defense has a particularly difficult challenge in this case, since they are defending a reporter's right to keep sources confidential, and the concern is over a potential child abuse case. Regardless of how we feel about the subject, the other team did not prove that it was necessary for the reporter to reveal sources as well as Eliza supported the position that there were other means to find the necessary information.

Each time we pick up Liza from the courthouse, I am struck by what a beautiful young woman she has become. I've reached the place where I can share my mother's lament, "My daughter looks better in my clothes than I do!" She sure looks sharp, and carries herself well, in MY suit! And it's funny to then watch her dash off to class, having changed from skirt and heels into slacks and sneakers- in the car!- between the courthouse and the community college campus.

Time passes so very quickly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home