Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Ethics as applied to life

So, on his way to bed, a cloaked being I suspect was Samuel, asked if I had blogged today. I don't know exactly what to say, but can't ignore that prompt. It seems my children, at least, are reading my blog.

Actually, I know that James and my sister Becky do also.

I really appreciate the fabulous people I have in my family. Becky called today. My off-hand and somewhat teasing comment about the adoption criteria struck a nerve. We're all waiting for Beck and Mitch to get their 171H documents allowing international adoptions. I'm glad we didn't find out any sooner than we did that they were planning on adopting. It's hard enough waiting the nine months for a baby to be born. Waiting for bureaucratic process is even worse, knowing that "our" kids are already here, and needing to be loved. I can only imagine what it must be like for them!

Becky and I talked quite a while about the ethical considerations they went through, in deciding to adopt, and then from which country and organization to adopt. It seems that, having made their decision, based on the concerns that seemed most important to them, they have been confronted with quite a few people who questioned, or even challenged, the choices they'd made.

My defensive streak is activated. Let me at 'em, Beck. No one picks on my sister and gets away with it!

It is very interesting to see our family's moral & ethical concerns brought into focus this way. Yes, we definitely came from the same tree! I listened to Becky sharing the concerns they'd faced along the way, and followed right along with the choices she and Mitch had made in the face of those concerns. I understand the quandries, and see our values being lived in the choices they are making.

Way to go, guys! We are looking forward to welcoming your new little ones!

And we love the big ones you already have!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home