Saturday, August 18, 2007

Strawberry curtains


So, first I thought the pattern was pineapples, and related to my link to Hawaii, as well as being a traditional symbol of hospitality. I made three panels with the points oriented up. (refer to my previous picture last spring) Those panels were too narrow, and I hung all three in the library/guest bedroom window.

Samuel said he thought they looked more like pine cones, so I turned the pattern upside down for the next panel. I was sitting in the airport on the way to Colorado making the chain to begin that panel, lost count, and didn’t make it long enough, so it ended up being too narrow again.

I finished that one while watching the Tour de France (after carrying it to Colorado and Florida!), and started the next one very carefully. I just finished that one this week, as a surprise for James. (He was taking a class in Reston, VA this week, and stayed with my brother rather than commuting 2+ hours each way every day. Thanks for having him, Chuck!) With the curtains hanging in the window, James says he thinks the pattern looks like strawberries.

I don’t know, or even care, what to call the pattern. I enjoy doing the work, and like the way they’re turning out.

I’m going to try to actually make the next panel match this one! Five panels so far, and no two of them match exactly. The final panel is going to be different again, because I’ve got to figure out how to balance the design in the window, while adding width to make up for the last narrow one.

I did finally use up that first huge (1.5+ mile) ball of thread, and started the next ball to finish the last four inches or so of this curtain.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home