Monday, February 12, 2007

Silent Weekend

I spent the weekend on a Silent Retreat at Dayspring Retreat Center with several other women from our Quaker Meeting. I didn't know how I'd handle the mandatory silence (not talking from after dinner Friday evening until just before lunch on Sunday), but really enjoyed it.

Okay, so I wasn't absolutely silent. Walking around, enjoying the sunshine and nature sounds, I did break out into song a time or two- without thinking about it. But I stopped singing as soon as I realized I was doing it- and noticed that I like expressing my joy in song.

It was a gorgeous, if chilly, weekend to spend out in the country. The pin oaks chattered as the breeze rattled their leaves. The grasses glowed red-gold and whispered in the sunshine. I came upon a frozen pond, covered in snow, as I was out walking. The sun made a gorgeous picture of on that canvas-sparkling snow contrasted with the bold shadows of trees. And across the surface, critter tracks! I sat beside the stream, listening to the water tumbling over the rocks and splashing on the crust of ice. Air bubbles trapped below the surface looked like a shadow-box movie as they oozed along, and the ice glittered like crystal in the sunshine. Pictures don't do justice, but I'll add them in when James gets home. He uploaded them from the camera, and I can't find them on our network. . .

The highlight of walking was my close encounter with a gray fox. The breeze was blowing into my direction, so he didn't smell me, and the rustling grasses must have covered the sound of my approach. I got within thirty feet or so before he trotted another 10-15 feet down the path to investigate something he'd seen. I stood there watching for a couple of minutes before he realized I was there, stared at me for another minute, and then turned tail and ran to the end of that path before turning back to look at me. Quite an experience! I wished I'd had my camera at that point, but the sound of the motor as it extended the lens would've startled him into running anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. That was probably the hardest thing to keep silent about the whole weekend.

I enjoyed a relatively little bit of reading (by my standards) and journaled less in the weekend than I have on many mornings. I relished the sense of peace I felt, and will be repeating the experience. I pondered the question of how to carry this feeling on in daily life, to whatever extent I can manage.

With that thought in mind, I came home to get ready to take my GRE tomorrow morning-if our winter storm holds off that long. Samuel's report card was waiting on the back of the sofa, just inside the front door, where he was sure I'd see it as soon as I walked in! (Love that boy!) It was the first thing he asked about when they got home from Pratt's. Full of energy-as usual!- it was quite unexpected when, at 10 PM, Miriam came to wake me because he was throwing up downstairs. After soaking in the tub, Samuel slept on the upstairs bathroom floor-close to the toilet, and warm next to the heater vent. Miriam was getting ready for school after morning cuddles, until she felt a chill and asked me if she had a fever. I sent her for a bucket, and sure enough, soon heard her retching. Sure comes on quick! (And I'm reminding myself that my immune system was strengthened by this weekend's peace, and I'll be fine to take my exam tomorrow. No pressure there!) I feel somewhat torn between defending myself so I can get through my exam tomorrow and taking care of my sick kids. Fortunately, they aren't requiring much. Miriam has been a lump (her radio the only disruption to the quiet day I'd had planned), and Samuel has only needed a couple of cups of chamomile tea. The apple juice he requested for a change just didn't sit right, and he went back to the tea. With their resilience, I expect they'll be back on their feet in plenty of time to enjoy our winter weather and the day or two off school it looks like they'll be getting later this week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home